Saturday, September 6, 2008

Living in the host city of the Republican National Convention has been an interesting experience. I could go into detail about walking down the street and seeing snipers stationed across the skyline or hearing rallies and protesters chant, but I think I'd like to focus on something a little less directly related to this event. Sarah Palin made a statement that I found interesting during her acceptance speech (she made a lot of statements, but that is not going to be my point. I'd actually rather keep this blog out of politics as much as I can). She offered assurance to the caregivers of special needs children, saying that they always have a friend in Washington. This was of special meaning to me, for several reasons, and came up in a conversation I had over dinner a few nights ago. I tend to think about things long after the conversation has ended and in this case my thought process reached a place that I wasn't necessarily expecting. I realized that when you look at discrimination in general the tone of counteracting it is focused on equality. Rightly so. However, I think the challenge with ending discrimination as it relates to people who are differently-abled is that things must be different in order for them to be equal. I wonder if this makes it much more difficult to realize because it is natural to think that things must be the same to be equal. Handicapped parking is a pretty simple example of this idea. Parking that is closer, with wider stalls, gives someone who is less able (or totally unable) to get themselves to the front door of a public place the same opportunity to shop at the grocery store, or wherever. I think that there are some people realize equality for special needs individuals is an obvious thing, and I would certainly agree with that. But, I wonder if these rights need to be acknowledged in a slightly more intentional way, as they require accommodations on the part of everyone involved. Our culture is not disability-friendly - I saw that every time one of my kids would refuse to wear shorts because he was afraid people would see his leg braces. I don't think that it was ignorant for Sarah Palin to realize it is still an issue. I appreciated her committment to this because I think establishing true equality - in practice, not just in theory - for this group is going to take much longer, and look much differently, than other equality efforts have in the past.

1 comment:

C.B. said...

Aunt Ashlee,
I loved this entry. The issue for all kinds of differences or discrimination, is indeed still out there. The fun thing is trying to open someone's mind about the possibilities... the accommadations. For example, who would have thought a blind person could work a computer and do the Reservation Sales job..... but United has a few. What is equal is opportunity, be it jobs or restroom access.
I would love to have been part of the conversation... hmmmm??? Gets my juices going!!!
C.B.