Tuesday, August 19, 2008

According to the Myers-Briggs personality test, I am a "feeler" (ESFJ). This means, basically, that I deal with things in life according to how I feel about them. Often I can sense that something is either off or more significant than it may seem, but I just can't put my finger on it. I've often seen it as a weakness that needs to be overcome rather than a strength that could be used for success (and/or the avoidance of negative situations). Anyway, I thought that following your gut when making life decisions was a bad idea - that basing my future/career on what seemed to just be an emotional inclination was not only irrational but also totally unwise. I have been proven wrong. How do we balance what looks good on paper with what lets us rest easy at night?

2 comments:

dad harms said...

Interesting. More on this at:http://www.personalitypage.com/ESFJ.html

C.B. said...

Well, well... I remember taking that test... I might have to spring for the $5 and take it again. Hopefully I will test out differently now that I am a relaxed, chilled and happy retiree. I found the concept really helpful in self awareness but mainly in discovering how to deal with others. I do remember that I am a .5 "E" and .5"I"... so true... I can wear a lampshade and dance on the table with the best of 'em.... but have to have quiet time and a book too.... It would be fun to find out about others we both know. I am assuming you did this at work.... but here is the BIG question.... how does "Dad Harms" know the web site...hmmmm??? Is he a secret ENFP???