Tuesday, November 4, 2008

why i voted.

Today is about 2 things. Voting and my dad.

Happy Birthday Dad!! I love you!

I walked to the polls today and voted. On my way over I was talking to someone who works in my apt complex. He "never votes" apparently and had no plans to do it today. I understand his frustration with all the drama that comes along with elections and political races, but I told him that I have to vote. When I think that only a few generations of women have had the freedom to walk up to those little booths and have their opinions count, I can't find any valid excuse to not participate. Then, as I was registering (we can do it the day of in MN) I was waiting behind an elderly Russian man. As the judge handed him the little yellow card that would be his pass into the polls, he touched his heart with his hand, laughed, and said, "I will go vote now" and laughed again. Pretty soon everyone in line was either laughing or tearing up as we watched this frail little man go submit (what I assume to be) his first ballot in an American election. What an inspirational day!

1 comment:

C.B. said...

Indeed it was an inspiring day. I worked at the voting polls today in Sun Prairie, WI and registered many first time voters... all kinds...all ages. I still get teared up seeing their faces and the joy they held. It is a great day for everyone.