Friday, November 14, 2008

Some people say that each day comes with different experiences, each experience comes with different feelings. Lately, though, each day seems to come with the same experiences and each experience comes with similar feelings. And while they aren't ideal, I'm (slowly) starting to realize that things aren't always going to be ideal, but maybe it isn't about the things. Maybe it's about our approach.

Keeping this challenge from upseting the blessings in my life is hard, but it also has the potential to be the most destructive. I know that I am prone to focus on tasks (just look in my purse and you will find 15 outdated and unfinished To Do lists). But, I know that I don't want my life to be defined by tasks. I want it to be defined by my presence - in my own life and in the lives of other people. I want to see and experience life, not cross each step off a poorly constructed list.

A professor of mine used this story once as a way to illustrate her approach to nursing. I think its truth stretches far beyond a professional application.

Luke 10:38
Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomes him into her home. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. But Martha was distracted with much serving. And she went up to him and said, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her."

No comments: