Friday, July 18, 2008

How could I forget?

Amidst all the anticipation of starting my new job, I suddenly find myself in a very different place that I'd like to be. Concerning myself with job, co-worker, and role dynamics is probably motivating to a certain extent, but somewhere along the way I began to focus on those unknowns and forgot about why I am doing this job. Nursing, to me, is a very practical and meaningful way to serve people. I love it because it is such a complex career - I have the responsibility to provide for my patients in a physical way. Monitoring labs, measuring intake and output, passing meds, calling for orders, etc etc... But, I also have the privilege of being there when my patients are feeling anxious, doubtful, fearful, or, the hardest, angry. Of course, I feel least prepared for this, but I think that it is the most important aspect of nursing. Never do we want things to happen that bring people through our doors, but worse than those things happening is the thought of no one being prepared on the other side, ready to serve, whatever the need.

I was challenged to remember these things from an unlikely source - via text - "while you might not be overly thrilled to sign your life away I'm sure the children at the hospital are eagerly awaiting your arrival." Hm, thanks for the reminder.

2 comments:

Ariel said...

Yes-- and the trick is to remember this on the hardest of days... Tomorrow is the big day already! I miss you and love you.

C.B. said...

Ashlee...
I just know something good is going to happen to you today.... I feel it in my bones.... It's a God Thing, you know!!

We are all waiting to hear your stories...

C.B.